Information on Sturmey Archer AC hub

bertin753

Does anyone know where to find descriptions and exploded diagrams of this hub? If Hadland's blog has information on it, I can't find it.

Does anyone on this list ride or has anyone ridden an AC? Impressions? Drag? Lash? Reliabiity?

Does anyone have one for sale or know of a seller?

My AMs are wonderful and really, more practical, but a hub with the equivalent of 1-tooth jumps is fascinating.

Thanks.

Patrick Moore

Thomas

this would probably be of much interest to another list that specializes in internal-gear-hubs     =)
main@geared-hub-bikes.groups.io
   geared-hub-bikes.groups.io

noMadic  Thomas

On 2022-06-19 12:29, bertin753 wrote:
Does anyone know where to find descriptions and exploded diagrams of this hub? If Hadland's blog has information on it, I can't find it.

Does anyone on this list ride or has anyone ridden an AC? Impressions? Drag? Lash? Reliabiity?

Does anyone have one for sale or know of a seller?

My AMs are wonderful and really, more practical, but a hub with the equivalent of 1-tooth jumps is fascinating.

Thanks.

Patrick Moore

Thomas

uh...    sorry, that was a brain fart
I thought I was in the classic rendezvous mailing list    =)
    Please ignore    ={

On 2022-06-19 12:29, bertin753 wrote:
Does anyone know where to find descriptions and exploded diagrams of this hub? If Hadland's blog has information on it, I can't find it.

Does anyone on this list ride or has anyone ridden an AC? Impressions? Drag? Lash? Reliabiity?

Does anyone have one for sale or know of a seller?

My AMs are wonderful and really, more practical, but a hub with the equivalent of 1-tooth jumps is fascinating.

Thanks.

Patrick Moore

Michael Wilson

My brother & I each have one.  He really liked his 40 years ago when he was a competitive time trialist (he qualified for the nationals once or twice, albeit on a 1st generation Klein with a 2x6 derailleur).  Even back then the AC did not have enough range for me.  If I was going to shift gears I wanted some gear range; otherwise I would just ride fixed.

I see them on eBay every few months.  There was an NOS AC for sale recently.

The FC & FM hubs have a similar compound gearing, and I would break the left side ball cups on those.  The AC in principle has a press fit left ball cup instead of the threaded FM/FC style, so maybe the low gear pawl race would not fracture on the AC.

Or you could get an AR which has the compound gearing done differently and fits a standard AM/AW hub shell.

Or you could get a KS which is not quite as tight a gear range as the AC or AR, but has the 6 prong driver and the K series pawls which may cause issues.

Michael Wilson

I neglected to mention that the KS has the compound planet gear similar to the AM, so it is much simpler than the AC or AR.  The AC is similar to the FC except with a 20t secondary sun pinion instead of the FM/FC 30t sun, and the secondary planet carrier is one piece with the primary sun pinion, rather than being clutched.